Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Savannah, School update

Today I called GIANT steps, (a preschool for children with autism). I've been wanting to find out where Savannah is on their waiting list, to see if she will get in this school year. I've had my hopes up. There is like only one student per teacher or aid. It's suppose to be a great school. I was going to these parent classes there for a while. They were really informational.

Anyway, I was so bummed when they told me that she is number 82 on their list and won't be getting in. I know that she is doing great at her preschool and her teachers are wonderful. I love them but, this would just be the greatest thing for her. I just want her to get all the help she can to reach her full Patriarchal,but maybe this school just isn't right for her. I guess it just wasn't ment to be.

On the bright side, Savannah qualified for summer school! I am so glad! Last summer she went backwards. She wasn't talking as much , had more and bigger tantrums, and was so emotional. She would just cry for hours, and I could never figure out why. Almost, every time we went somewhere we came home in tears, the both of us. I am so glad she got in! She even gets to have her same teacher!

I've been so worried about Savannah lately. Her tantrums have gotten worse and more violent. I just try my best to stay nutrul and calm, or sometimes it's best to pretend to ignore her when she's so angry. She just turns it on and off. A lot of the time she will hurt herself on purpose. It she's on tile or something hard, she'll pause, then bang her head. She kicks, screams, and she'll grab your hair or pinch you if you are close to her sometimes. It's like she's a completely different person in her own world and she just shuts everything else off. I just don't know what to do. I feel like it's my fault but, I just don't know how to fix it or help her. It does help if she has her nap though and, if she went to school that day. If anyone has any ideas on how to help her, PLEASE let me know!

1 comment:

  1. So glad she got into summer school! I'm sorry about the tantrums. No ideas here. Are there classes and people who have autistic children you can communicate with to give you ideas??? I have no idea but I will keep my eyes and ears open for you. Love you and miss you too Nicole!

    ReplyDelete