Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Xander's 15 Month Checkup and Savannah

Last week, Xander had his 15 month appointment. It's so sad how fast he is growing up!He went up to the 50% for his weight. He weighs 23pounds, but he dropped below the chart for his height. I guess it's because of his syndrome. I'm kinda sad about that. But, besides that he is doing really great!!! He is full of energy and into everything! He is my little monster! I love my Xander baby boy!( what Savannah calls Xander)

Savannah has been having a really hard time with uncontrollable break downs and tantrums for a long time. It's been so bard not being able to know what she wants or to be able to calm her down. I just don't know how to help her. I wish she could tell me what she needed! I'm her mother, I should know what she needs and how to comfort her! I want so badly to be there for her, but she just won't or can't let me. Why can't I do that for her? Why can't I be able to tell her that everything is going to be ok and have her understand it and know it's true? There are a lot of times where we just have to leave someones house, a store, or church. She just has a really hard time when things arn't routine, not going her way, or when she has to stop doing something and has to go or do something else. I feel like I've tried everything and nothing works. I've just been feeling helpless about it for a long time. I've been against medicating her but, now there just seems to be no other way to help her. I don't want her to not be her herself or to not be happy. I don't want to change her. I just want to help her to be Savannah again. A few weeks ago we started her on Risperidone. It is a very low dose and we only give it to her when we think she is going to be needing it that day. Like, when she is going to church, have a long day, or be put in stressful situations for her. I do feel better about it. The last two Sundays have been the first Sundays that we have been able to make it through church without a single tantrum or the I pad!!! It was amazing! We were able to actually able to enjoy church and not dread it! The first Sunday we only gave her 1 of the two pills. She was really good , but when she was sitting still she was getting really sleepy. So, Thursday and Sunday Last week we only gave her a half of a pill. She was so happy and didn't seem to be sleepy, other than she did take a nap at nap time, which was good!Last Sunday, Savannah even participated in Primary singing time!Everyone said she was so good and happy! I'm really happy about this and I feel that it is right for Savannah. I'm so glad to have my Savannah back! I love her so much!

1 comment:

  1. You have 2 beautiful children! My heart breaks for you as you describe your heartbreak over needing to make things right because you are Mom! I wanted to suggest that you look into Sensory Integration therapy. I know nothing about BBS, except what I have learned from your blog, but have experience with children with autism and have seen success with sensory interventions. Sensory interventions can help with being overstimulated by the environment, easily upset, difficulty with transitions, and help you as mom to "fix" some of the daily hassles for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete