Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fresh, Healthy Snacks

 Savannah and Xander don't know when they are full and they always fill hungry.  This is one of my hardest challenges and one of the things that I hate most about their syndrome, (BBS.) We are very careful with everything that they eat and try our best at keeping their calories at 700 per day but, at the end of each day their syndrome wins. This is very hard for me and I take it very personal. Most days I feel as though I have failed yet again as their mother. I have failed them. I have spent many hours baling my eyes out over this because I just don't know what to do and I don't have any answers and no one else seams to know either.
 But, I can't just give up! I will keep trying. Even if I fail a million times! I will just become an expert! Maybe one day they will find a cure for this and why their bodies are this way. One day...

Savannah has meltdowns every day because she says she is hungry. Even, just as I'm cleaning up lunch she comes to me and says she is hungry and she wants lunch.At family events and get togethers we have to clean up other kids plates because when all of the other children are too busy and want to play with the other kids Savannah and Xander will go plate to plate. It's like if there is food out they can't take their minds off of it and can't think of anything else. We cant leave food out on the counters. The minute I leave the room they will find it. I feel so bad because it is not their faults. They eat very healthy overall. It is even harder with Savannah because she now knows she can ask for food. She has always had the bigger weight issue, since she was about 2 months old she has been in the 90% or off the charts for her weight. And I feel so guilty that I gave her this. She has to live with this the rest of her life because I gave her these genes, this syndrome. I had a very hard time with my weight growing up and I never want her to feel the way I did and that I do about myself. I just want her to know how beauitful she is inside and out and what anyone thinks doesn't matter. I want her to have good self esteem. I am hoping that being given healthy foods now and to teach them about healthy eating habits now will help to make it easier on their as they grow to make their own good healthy eating choices. Here are some healthy snacks that we like!
Apple Slices with granola and peanut butter
Grapes, Carrots, coli flower, and broccoli

Fresh on the go snacks

Frozen Low Fat Yogurt Bites (How to post is to come!)

Cucumbers and Salsa

Watermelon and strawberries with 1 squeeze of fresh lime juice and 2 teaspoons honey

Whole wheat pita chips with Red bell pepper hummus, (we also love to just eat garbanzo beans as a snack!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, this breaks my heart. It is so frustrating and depressing when you don't feel like you are good enough. I think you are doing great. You can't be "on" all the time. You just need a break. My kids eat healthy snacks like this too. I think those snack bags on the go are such a great idea. Those would last a day in my house. And yes, I'd love to see how to do the yogurt bites. I've seen it on pinterest, but never looked into it. I've been dying to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that not only do you make sure they est healthy foods and snacks you make them so cute!! You are so talented and you try so hard with your kids. I'm always so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete